Saturday, January 28, 2023

Virgin Queen Wallet

I'm not starting the year right with this blog, but at least I can make up for it by striking off an item from this year's goals. My Virgin Queen Wallet is done.

I need to start looking at the finishing. I have some lightweight fusible, but I need to figure out where to find interlining (also called buckram). It's basically what gives the piece stiffness. I also need to find felt, coordinating fabric for the lining and a few other little bits and bobs. The original is lined with a willow green dupion silk, I'm probably going to go with a quilting fabric as it's easier to get locally.

While stitching what will become the needlebook, I realized I don't dislike blackwork after all. I think it was stitching with such a dark contrasting color. You get such a sense of satisfaction watching the pattern unfold. I may do more of it if I can find the right pattern.

Below you can see the stitching for the thread winder and scissor fob.

The next three pictures are what will make up the actual etui.

Slight change from the original, I switched out the vanilla for the cinnamon on the interwoven pattern. It was really hard to see and I was just not enjoying it at all. Plus the cinnamon is really pretty and goes well with the carnations.



Doing the finishing is not at the top of the list right now. The next three months will be very busy with classes. I'll be starting Japanese embroidery classes and revisiting cords technics, I want to make sure this piece gets completed before I got back to Grace. I'll also be getting back to Arabian Nights, the bead embroidery piece I was supposed to start in December. Lots coming, I just need to be patient.

4 comments:

  1. Each part is beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous already! I love all the colours you have used. If you enjoyed the blackwork then have a look at my People's Choice post for January. I posted some links to various websites and SALs there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, there is a lot going on in this one, so many different patterns and techniques. Good job finishing the stitching, I'm looking forward to seeing it all made up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might find buckram in an upholstery or curtain making shop. I'm looking forward to seeing this set come together!

    ReplyDelete