Monday, September 25, 2023

Absente and Away

 It's been a while since my last post. I didn't even publish my minimum of one per month with my ORT jar. The reason is simple, there was nothing to share. I've been busy getting ready for my first vacation since 2018. In 3 days, I'll be flying out to Seoul, South Korea! 

I swapped my embroidery classes for an intensive beginners course in Korean as I really want to be able to read and talk to people when I get there. It will be in broken Korean but I'll at least be able to order food on my own. I'll also be meeting with other embroidery students and teachers that I've been in contact with over Instagram. There are two embroidery exhibitions being held in Seoul as we speak with my name on it!

I haven't entirely stopped making for the last two months, I've just been making things with my sewing machine. Here is one example of something I've made that I will take with me. It's based on a pattern by Aneela Hoey called 4 pocket case.


It has a few imperfection and is a little wonky, but I'm so happy with how it came out as there were so many firsts involved. I put in my first zipper, used vinyl for the first time, added a binding with corner. I really love it as it's the right size to fit an A4 cross stitch pattern, fabric, threads and all my stitching tools.


I was initially going to take a different piece with me, but sadly despite ordering early the materials have still not arrived in time. So here's the kit I'll be taking with me instead. It's based on Alphonse Mucha's Brunette. It came with 16ct aida fabric which I've already swapped out for a 32ct. I'll probably concentrate on the stitching the frame around the portrait during the long flights.



4 comments:

  1. I hope you've got a headlight or something if you are going to work on the flights! Have fun...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time on your trip. I hope you are able to post about some of the highlights you experience while there!
    Congrats on the new sewing experience and your sewing case. It is so handy to have all the parts contained for a project especially when on a flight. I hope that you are able to get many stitches in when moving from place to place on your travels.
    Have a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That project bag is gorgeous and wow, what a vacation you got planned! Hope you're having tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete