Friday, September 18, 2015

18th Century Sampler - Block #9

 I ended up deciding to stitch the blocks first and since everyone was starting at the center block, I decided to do the same. I had already decided, I wanted to add color to my piece and had picked DMC 524. But up until yesterday I was still worried it might now work.

Trying to take pictures after each step, but kind of forgot towards the end
I'm not worried anymore lol. The threads used in this piece are DMC perl cottons #5, 8, 12. So what I'm doing is, in a block, anytime a thicker perl is used I'll stitch that in DMC 524. If the #12 is used, I'll stick to ecru. Unless there is an area where there is a lot of little stitches, like in the corners, I'll try to add the green there. It helps that the diagrams are shown in white and green for DMC #8 and 12 so I get a good idea of how it will look with the different colors.

Block #9 in natural light
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but looking at it now I wish I had stitched the big Eyelet at the center in green, but I can live with how it is. I can't wait to stitch the next square tonight :)


  1. That will produce a lovely subtle effect - looking good!

  2. Splendid embroidery. I agree about the green center.