Monday, June 11, 2018

Finally Getting Framed

On Saturday, I finally went to my frame shop with my three Goldwork pieces. Yes, Japanese Landscape is done, I just never took final pictures to share. I will do that soon. Just need a good sunny day and we have plenty of those now that it's summer.


The frame shop I used is called GEMST. There is an employee at the shop named Reg who used to work in the fashion industry and he has an excellent eye for selecting the perfect frame for embroidery pieces. My only requirement for these three pieces, is that they had to be framed using the same frame. They will be hanging side by side so they need to match.


The pieces will be protected with glass and because there are some raised elements, we ended up going with a double frame. Reg recommended not having a mat so it wouldn't distract from the work. We picked a gilded frame with a burnished(?) edge. It really brings out the copper in Japanese Landscape.


I decided I would stretch my own pieces on the foam core instead of letting the frame shop do it. This is because I can't guarantee that they don't use glue on the back of the pieces. I have two cross stitch pieces that I had framed there and they are both excellent but I didn't want to take any chances. So I came home on Saturday with all three Goldwork pieces and matching acid-free foam boards.


I need to get these stretched for this coming Saturday as I'll be going back to finalize the frame size, glass selection (museum quality of course) and pay. Really not looking forward to seeing how much this all costs. I managed to finish two of the three pieces over the weekend and I started on the third one today. So I'm on track to reach my goal.

9 comments:

  1. Ce que tu brodes est magnifique Dima :)
    Belle journée à toi,
    isa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Isabelle :D J'admire beaucoup tes travaux aussi

      Delete
  2. Framing is expensive, but after all your hard work you probably want the pieces well-protected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rachel, you put so much work into these pieces it's worth getting them framed professionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't wait to see them framed :)

      Delete
  4. Good for you on deciding to stretch your own work. It’s a pain, but worth it. How wonderful to be able to have all sitting on your wall together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is stretching Goldwork more difficult than with regular cross stitch? The fabric looks so delicate and there are all those beautiful stitches not to be distorted! I admire you for doing that yourself and I'm sure they will look awesome when framed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never stretched a cross stitch piece, but I would think the same rules apply. You have to be careful not to distort the stitches and that everything is properly centered. That was my biggest worry, getting everything centered and straight.

      Delete