Thursday, October 1, 2020

Dawn to Dusk - Motif 1-3 & Motif 2-1

I originally planned to only spend one day on Dawn to Dusk but once I started I didn't want to put it down. 

The previous weekend I had started motif 1-3 when I realized there was a mistake in the foundation for the interlaced Maltese cross. I found myself constantly flipping back and fourth between two pages: One page showed the steps for the foundation and the other showed placement. I went back to the instructions and retraced my steps, having decided to merge both diagrams into one, and found a mistake in the weave of the center on one of them. Once I understood the flow of the stitch I was able to complete the stitching.

(click on the post to see the animation below)

The first eight-pointed star of the second row had a pretty bargello design. This is a technique I've always wanted to try as I've seen examples stitched with a beautiful range of colors.

I was half-way into the another motif before I realized I made a mistake. This is becoming a habit on this project. It's also a sign that I should slow down as the mistakes always happen towards the end of the day when I'm close to finishing a motif. This time, I stitched the center stitch sideways. Easy mistake to do as working on the piece sideways and am constantly rotating the chart. I just need to be more careful in future.


  1. It's always a bit tricky to balance enthusiasm and fatigue, isn't it!

  2. This is looking beautiful but you do have to pay attention with some of these stitches!

  3. Wow, these look great! This design is coming along so nicely, and quickly too it seems.