Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Superimposed Cherry Blossoms

The dreaded cherry blossoms. Cherry blossoms in themselves are not hard to stitch, you just have to make sure each petal is symmetrical. However, when stitched over a foundation every stitch is a struggle. Every time you think you came out in the right spot, the foundation either shifts or is sort of plump and goes over the stitch making it look shorter.


So the trick to overcome this: find the point where your needle would normally come out, then come out even further back from there. Same when coming back down, you always want to aim farther. You also have to get over the fact that the petals will not look perfect up close. What really matters is how they will look once you step back. I think that was the hardest part for me, but once I got over that things went much better.


Looking at them now, they're so cute. The flowers are still missing their stamens, but that won't take long. I'm just happy I finally figured it out. The next step on this piece will be to plunge the goldwork threads and then work on the cords. There will be lots of twisting in my future, but that just makes the stitching go faster.

5 comments:

  1. The tricks of wrangling multi-layer stitching are always a bit tricky to get to grips with, aren't they - but they make such a different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You succeeded beautiful with the cherry blosoms. I enlarged the photo for more details and the stitching looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blossoms are looking lovely. Like everything on this piece- worth taking the time to do properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing! Taking a step back is the secret to most stitching techniques, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great. And I will remember that tip when I start superimposed work. 😉

    ReplyDelete