Monday, August 8, 2022

Astrolabe - Lesson 3 & 4

 In the last update, I had the center of the Rete completed. Now it's time to wrap it.


Around the center of the Rete is a serpent with what looks like flames coming out of it's body. The flames act as arrows when used with the plate.


To give them a more flame like look, there was gold passing that was couched inside.


These were then filled with chipwork.


The serpent's body is made up of chipwork and cutwork. If I though the bright check chips were tiny, the cut pieces of smooth purl were much smaller. It took a long time to get all that space covered.

I did have a happy accident, what looks like an eye for the serpent is actually where I ended my black thread when I was outlining the body.


This completes the Rete. Fun fact, lesson 3 alone took a little over 34 hours to complete.


While I'm writing this, I'm going to throw in lesson 4 which is stitching the Adelaide. Not a process I enjoyed as I'm not a fan of stitching on kid leather. I always end up with bleeding fingers. I really should get myself a proper thimble and learn how to use it.



4 comments:

  1. C'est vraiment magnifique, Dima :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking fabulous and well worth all the hours you spent on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is any consolation, I know many other people who struggle with thimbles, and no-one who doesn't! I feel it's either the natural state of things, or something was missed from our education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 34 hours, wow! I almost severely undererstimate gold work. Looks so worth it, though!

    ReplyDelete