Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Revisiting Japanese Knots

Since my post on knots, I received a lot of questions about Japanese knots. Many of you were curious Since I received so much interest on Japanese knots, I thought I'd make a video demonstrating how they are made.

(click on the post to see the video below)


In order to be able to use this method, the thread needs to have an S-twist. To find out more about the difference between S and Z twist, Mary Corbet has a great article explaining the different twists. DMC thread has an S-twist, so technically this technique should work with any of their threads. I decided to test this theory out. The one on the left is a DMC cotton a broder and the one on the right is a sashiko thread by Olympus. I was able to create knots with both threads and they come out really great.

So now, I leave it for you to try out. I'd love to see your attempts and what you think of this technique. Would you start switching French knots for Japanese knots? I certainly will.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for teaching this new knot to us....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always good to have a variety of choices for anywhere you might want to use a stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting new stitch that I shall definitely try although I love doing French knots. thank you for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the video - I'll try these out the next one I need knots in a project!

    ReplyDelete