Monday, November 8, 2021

Hiogi - Tassel, cords & more

Two weeks ago, I set myself an objective for Hiogi. Well I met them and more!

The first objective was to stitch the second purple cord that had the color change.


Here you can see the light purple next to a twisted thread that had half light, half dark purple.  The color change is done in steps where you start introducing the mixed color thread slowly, completly replace it and then introduce your second color to finally end with just that one.


The second objective was to put in the veins on the tassel. I had previously transferred the lines using the tissue paper method using black couching silk. These lines could be put in by eye and they don't need to be very precise. At the time when I put in the black lines I thought it may have been overkill, especially as I had spent a whole session just doing that. However, when it came time to put in the karayori it really helped. So I will probably do the same on the other tassel using an orange couching silk.


The last touch comes on the "skirt" of the tassel. There is an outline of Japanese knots in light purple, I added some gold to the twist, and then a few scattered inside. The outline is easy, but how much should there be inside is a tough question. A friend reminded me that in Japanese embroidery, if you have to ask yourself if you put enough, chances are you did and should stop now.


Since I met my objective, I could go back to working inside the fan. I completed the white buds, adding in the stems. We could pick either a green or peach color and I went with the peach as it gave it a delicate look.

I was originally thinking of putting in the lines inside the fan but finally decided to wait for the clouds to be outlined. They're done using a non-stitchable gold thready and waiting will help me better judge where the gold lines should be plunged.


But wait, there's more! Since I'm doing so well, I decided to forgo working on the Armillary sphere on Sunday and spend one more day on Hiogi to start the orange cord.


The day went well, really well. I normally stop stitching around 3-4pm but that didn't happen yesterday. I stitched all day, with a break around 3pm for a nice walk and came right back to stitching. Things were going so well, that the stitches just kept flowing. 

The cord on the left is meant to be stitched with gold and dark orange with a color transition in between. I didn't particularly like the gold as I thought it was too flashy and clashed with the overall design. The kit comes with two shades of orange as the tassel is stitched with two. So I decided to use the light orange twisted with gold before it transitions to the dark orange.


The next session will be to work on the tassel as it is in the foreground while the second cord is in the background. There are a few steps to get through, so it may take 2 or 3 stitching sessions.

I'm really happy with how far I was able to get in two weekeds on this piece, especially on those cords. I'm thinking I should strike while it's hot and get phase 5 which is all about cords. Decisions, decisions...

4 comments:

  1. The purple tassel is beautiful, as is the orange/gold cord. You are truly on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you made some serious progress now that you picked this up again! I love the colour transitions, especially on the orange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I agree, keep going while you are in the zone on this one. The colours are so beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete