Friday, December 31, 2021

Looking Back at 2021

2021 was another strange year. I switched jobs twice and we're spending a lot of time at home. Because of this I was able to complete two of my longest WIPs. I'm most proud of how I finished Bramble and the Rose. I get to admire it every time I go into the living room.

Tracery Dragons by Teresa Wentzler
Bramble and the Rose by Ink Circles

I bit the bullet and made a doll...

Elizabeth by Giulia Punti Antichi

and an elephant.


I completed two Japanese embroidery pieces and will soon be a phase 5 students.

Karahan - Phase 4
Hiogi - Phase 2/3

Finally managed to find a Japanese bead embroidery teacher. I was so happy to be able to move on with my studies and will have more in future.


One of my favorite pieces from this year is the beautiful blackwork Color Wheel by Jen Goodwin. It was such a joy to stitch and look at all the pretty colors.


Covid opened up a lot of opportunities for us to take classes with teachers both near...

Mariner's Compass by Cynthia Jackson
Armillary Sphere by Cynthia Jackson

And far. The biggest opportunity Covid brought me was the chance to take a class with a professional Japanese embroiderer in Japan. This would never have happened under normal circumstances.

Peach Blossom and Bird by Kurenai-Kai

So even though I was stuck at home with no where to go, I was able to go very far thanks to social media and Zoom. I look forward to more learning opportunities in 2022!


5 comments:

  1. Your work is so beautiful! And you've done so much in 2021. Loved reading your posts about the progress on these pieces. Looking forward to what you'll do in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had an amazing year. It's hard to pick a favourite from all your projects but I do love the two final goldwork pieces. Looking forward to seeing what you share with us this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we have all found, I think, that for all our horizons have been shrunk by the pandemic, they've been widened enormously by the assorted possibilities of online teaching. You've had a very productive year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was a lot of stitching in 2021! I could have sworn some of these were 2020 but my sense of time is pretty messed up right now. I'm glad there are some positives about the current situation, though!

    ReplyDelete