Monday, June 9, 2014

Learning Hardanger

Now that I finally have all my stash I can start learning Hardanger. I finished reading Jill Carter's Beginner's guide to Hardanger. It's good, but I did notice that it is missing some stitches used in Hardanger, like the Buttonhole stitch. I guess that stitch is not considered a beginner's stitch. I think I'll have to look for a more advanced book (someone has already recommended Janice Love's Hardanger Basics and Beyond), but for now it's good.

I decided to start off with a small freebie pattern (before tackling the kit I bought) and decided on Mamen's Tapete caramelos. Mamen is a great Hardanger designer, I've been eyeing many of her designs. Once I decide I really like stitching Hardanger, I will probably buy more of her patterns.

Here is what I have so far. I took the picture at night so the lighting isn't so good. I've enjoyed all the stitches so far except for the Buttonhole stitch. I'm sure if I find a great tutorial on doing Buttonhole stitches I will learn to enjoy it. Yesterday, I did a quick google search for diagram instructions on how to stitch it, but I don't think that will be enough. I notice just looking at the picture that the right corner of the row is not the same as the left corner. I think I will undo that before I continue.


1 comment: