Monday, December 11, 2017

Another Sort of Finish

Yes, another sort of finish, because like my other completed projects it still needs to be "finished" into it's final form. But for now we can still admire the sparkles.

Last week was another long week at work where I had no time or energy to do any stitching. Luckily things will start slowing down now that we're getting closer to the holidays. I work in software development and as we get closer to the holiday season, we implement what is called a code freeze. This means that there is always a rush right before to make that final deployment into production. Afterward, it's a little more relaxed. For me, last Friday was when it all ended. This meant I could finally get back to stitching.

Since both my whitework and goldwork pieces were finished it was time to put all my concentration on my beadwork piece. The last time I touched it was last weekend after finishing the goldwork flower. I was able to put in some time on it and finish a row of petals.


Between Friday and Saturday, I managed to finish stitching all of them.


The final touch were these hexcut beads. In our kit, we got extra black Czech beads (the ones used in the outline) and we were expected to use the same ones in between the petals. However, the original model used hexcut beads in dark navy. We spoke to our teacher about the possibility of making a substitution and she who okayed it. I decided to go with a dark green but I suspect there might have been some dark teal mixed it as I kept finding them in there. That's okay, it just makes the piece more interesting.


Here is what the final design would look like with all the different beads. The picture isn't that great as I took it at night. My camera had some problems focusing. Much like my eyes! I love goldwork and beadwork, but sometimes my eyes have a hard time focusing because of the glare. Does anyone else have that problem? What did you do to solve it?


An overall look to the piece.


And here's the back. It's always important to inspect the back on bead pieces for any stray loops. If there are any, they need to be anchored down as it could cause issues later. A bead might snag and get pulled out of place.


Next step is to gather all the supplies I need to finish it into an eyeglass case. That will take some time. I'm hoping to do it over the holidays. In the meantime, I will be catching up on my other older WIPs. I have between now and the start of the holidays to do that. This means there will be no new starts until then (I have to be very firm with myself on that). Not sure what I'll have to post, so content might be very random ;)

7 comments:

  1. I'm afraid the only solution I know of is to work goldwork and beadwork projects in short bursts! That said, my new worklight is very bright, but doesn't seem to glare, so maybe the technology is improving there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The future eyeglass case is gorgeous! Love the pattern and the texture (all showed up beautifully in the picture).

    Enjoy the "break" from the demands of your job. I'm retired now, but was an accountant/administrator when working and the week between Christmas and New Year was the most chaotic for me, demanding 12 hour days in order to "audit and close out the year".

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to see what WIPs you've got in store for us! Are you going to post a list or just as and when you get to them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is an awesome finish - so sparkly! And the back is surprisingly clean, considering how much is going on in the front. If there is no other post specifying that yet (I have a little over a week to catch up on), how big is this? You talking about making an eyeglass case makes me think it must be a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, so beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing it put together.

    ReplyDelete