Friday, July 20, 2018

Samara - Part 2

All pieces displayed in exhibitions must be finished. For Samara, I didn't want a boxy frame, I wanted something round. I started looking around for a round frame, always keeping in mind plan B: stretching it over a round mat board and covering the back with a fabric. I even had my framer cut a piece for me just in case.

Luckily I found the Sudberry House Crown Plate on 123stitch. The stitching area was a little bigger than I wanted, but everything else was too small.


The frame when it came in was beautiful. I loved the color of the wood. It came with a piece of glass, a mat board and a board to close off the back. It also included instructions on how to frame your piece. The only thing I wish it came with was the plate holder. The site I bought it from didn't stock it, but more on that later.


I used the mat board that came with the frame to cut a piece of quilt batting and then trimmed that piece by about half an inch.


!Warning! Glue was used in the finishing of this project.


The hard part was getting the piece centered over the mat and properly stretched.


I cut the excess fabric and did a running stitch all around. Once that's done, I carefully pulled on the thread so it wouldn't snap. To keep things in place, I put in some lace stitches going both directions.


Here it is all done. Based on the instructions, if you pad the piece with quilt batting you shouldn't use the glass. I didn't want to squish my purls anyways. I will keep the glass safe somewhere in case I want to switch out the piece later.


Back to the plate holder. Since I couldn't get the one by Sudberry House, I need to find a different way to display the piece for exhibition. It's always better to be prepared as the exhibition committee doesn't necessarily have enough easels for all pieces, so I like to provide my own. I went to Michaels and found a lovely bronze stand that went really well with the color of the wood. I made a little tag for it to make sure I get it back at the end of exhibition. I didn't think to take pictures of the two together. I will take them when I bring the piece back.


I'm publishing this article on Friday. They will be announcing the results from challenge at the banquet on Saturday night. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. Good luck! Your finish is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely piece, and the framing is just right for it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your project is so beautiful. It will be enjoyed by everyone who sees it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I never thought of plate holders instead of an easel. Good luck at the banquet. You could end up eating an extra portion of dessert because you won :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful piece and perfectly framed. It's got winner written all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great framing job! I haven't tried framing something round yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's beautifully framed! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job on the framing. I have never framed a round piece, it must be really challenging.
    I have a plate rack on my wall and I switch the pieces on display every few months.

    ReplyDelete