Monday, October 25, 2021

Hiogi Update

It's been a while since I've shared an update on Hiogi. I'm looking at posts and the last update is from February when I completed the cherry blossom on the pink cloud. I did take it out once or twice to clean up the fan and add the stems on the cherry blossoms, but I didn't do much else for several months as I took on phase 4 and then the phase 2 bead embroidery project.

Since starting my new job, my Friday afternoons have been freed up and I'm able to join my Japanese stitching group who regularly meet on Fridays to stitch together. I made a decision to put more time on Hiogi and try to complete it. I won't say I will finish it this year but I will make more of an effort.


I started with the last paulownia leaf as it's been sitting half finished for a very long time. It just needed one leaf to stitch and then veins.


I used the tissue paper method to transfer the veins. I should be doing it using shell powder, the preferred JEC method but as I don't have any I couldn't. I'll get some and look for a future opportunity.


Once the veins are stitched and tissue paper teared off, I only had to put in a few stitches to keep the longer silk strands in place.


From there I went on to stitch the little white blossoms. These are stitched with twisted silk over cotton padding.


At this point the inside of the fan is well on it's way to being completed, but I feel that I've avoided those cords long enough.


So my focus as of right now are the cords. Over the weekend I completed the light purple cord and will start the last bit next weekend. I think I will aim to finish the right side completely before going back to finish the inside of the fan.


As I like to-do lists, here is what I need to get done:

  • stitch the remaining cord. This involves a color transition from light to dark purple
  • stitch the veins on the tassel. I had put in guidelines in black couching silk but they need to be covered in the dark purple
  • add some Japanese knots on the "skirt" of the tassel in light purple

5 comments:

  1. Looking good. I like the tissue paper method - as long as I don't expect to want to do the same again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous, as per all your projects, I love that green leaf with the gold veins and the beautiful purple cords too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to see this again, and it's moving along so nicely! Looking forward to how much you can get done this year.

    ReplyDelete