Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Japanese Landscape - Parts A, B & C

Let the goldwork begin! First step, part A, is to couch down a frame around the design using pearl purl.


It's important that this comes out as straight as possible, so a ruler is useful.


This pearl purl border will later be surrounded by two more layers that will be added at the end. This first one is needed now to define the stitching area.


Part B and C are the circles on the left and right that represent flowers. They're both stitched in the same way using super pearl purl, rococco and #1 twist.


The super pearl purl is couched down first. I wanted to get this circle as perfect as possible. Can you see where the pearl purl starts and ends?


Next layer is rococco. I've never used this one before. I kind of like it but I found that the wave in the metal thread wasn't consistent all around. I do love the color.


Rococco is couched down where the metal thread curves down. This is where a consistent wave is important. If it is, then you will be able to evenly couch down the thread and it will look nicer.


The next layer is with #1 twist. This thread consists of three metal threads twisted together into a cord. It's couched down in the same manner as passing thread.


Once all three are couched, I repeated the layers a second time.


This is where I hit a snag. I'm pretty sure I cut my felt the right size, but I seem to have ended up with some felt sticking out.


I received some good advice from Jen Goodwin on Instagram. She recommended a solution that would take courage and nerve: carefully cutting the stitches holding the edge of the felt and then trim back the felt using curved scissors. I ended up taking her advice but I used pointy scissors instead, my curved scissors were too big for the area. Luckily I didn't have any issues.


Once the felt was trimmed back, I was able to add a fourth layer of super pearl purl to cover the edges. Now that I think back, I wish I had realized there would be a problem when I was about to put in that third line of super pearl purl. If I had, I could have trimmed the felt right then and wouldn't have needed an extra layer. Live and learn :)


All in all I'm very happy with how it came out. One thing to note, the amount of rococco and #1 twist that is in the materials list could have been more generous. My tails were tiny and I had a hard time plunging them to the other side.


5 comments:

  1. Looking good Dima! What guts you have to trim the felt back. Gold threads have rarely the same widths between manufacturers, so I am not suprised you ended up with a tiny rim of extra felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd have jury-rigged a way to tuck the felt back with overcast stitches, rather than trying to trim it! You brave, brave girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh you have some nerve Dima! It has paid off though and looks lovely. The colours are brilliant together! This will be one masterpiece when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a scary fix to your problem, but it does look great. I am a big fan of perfect circles and straight edges, and you aces both :)

    ReplyDelete